Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is an annual campaign to increase awareness of breast cancer. As a sponsor of the Susan G. Komen Nebraska Race for the Cure, Baxter Auto is proud to support the cause. Our blog will remain pink throughout the month to help raise awareness.

Race for the Cure

Susan G. Komen Nebraska is holding The Race for the Cure event on Sunday, October 9. So far, Nebraska has raised 1,212.34. The run will start and end at Baxter Arena and Stinson Park. This year’s theme is Everyday Heroes – honor one. save one. be one. The event starts with registration at 6am followed by a survivor photo at 8:15am. The race officially begins at 9am. It’s not too late to join the more than 6,000 race participants in the fight against Breast Cancer.

Up to 75% of net proceeds raised by Komen Nebraska stay right in the state and support health projects and screening or treatment for 91 county service areas. The remaining 25% of the net income supports the Susan G Komen Grants Program.

Komen Nebraska researches the state of breast health throughout the state. In 2015 Komen found that Nebraska ranked 40th in the U.S. for mammogram screening rates. 24 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed and 4 people die of breast cancer each week in Nebraska.

Susan G. Komen Nebraska puts on Breast Cancer Awareness events throughout the year. These October events include the Nebraska Race for the Cure and Dine Out for the Cure on Sunday, October 9. Komen Nebraska will receive a portion of your tab if you dine out at one of the participating restaurants in Lincoln and the Omaha metro-area,.

If running an early morning race isn’t your thing, there are plenty of other ways to donate and support the cause. Or, check the list of participating restaurants and head out for a meal. And don’t forget, all donations are tax-deductible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.